#1 : MANAGING MIGRAINE- FOOD CHOICES
Following on from yesterday’s post and the decision to start sharing my journey of recovery from chronic migraine headaches, the first and biggest change that took place in my daily routine was a correct dietary protocol.
This protocol needn’t be just for the relief of migraine pain but statistically, otherise know as the “polymeal”, is a common sense, back-to-basics meal plan for addressing all sorts of pain, inflammation, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune disease and gut issues, so commonly seen from the effects of a modern day developed diet.
In a nut shell, it is an elimination af ALL processed, packaged, genetically modified or otherwise modified foods and getting back to a simple plan of eating real, whole (preferably organic) foods in their natural original state.
My key changes were –
1. Eliminating or reducing dairy and gluten.
2. Eating more fruits and vegetables, particularly vegetables ( a ratio of 70:30) especially GREENS as well as a balance of reds, yellows, oranges, purples and blues. (1 cup of each colour every day).
3. DRINKING MORE WATER! Dehydration causes massive ill-effects on pain, inflammation and energy.
4. Reducing caffeine and replacing with lemon water or herbal teas.
5. Eating oily or cold water fish at least 3 times per week.
6. Including healthy fats, fibre and protein in every meal. (As a guideline – a thumb of fat, a palm of protein and a handful of fibre).
7. Reducing animal protein and replacing with plant sources.
8. Eliminating processed sugar and when necessary, replacing with less processed versions such as maple syrup or coconut sugar.
9. Last but not least, enjoying a small glass of red wine and a square of dark chocolate every day!
I will be releasing FREE E-BOOKS in these next few weeks with lots of easy, delicious and nutritious recipes to help you prepare and enjoy some of these amazing healing foods.